Saw an interesting study from MetroMix about what a survey of service industry people think about their clients here in Indy:
1. Westside-area stripper: I really hate it when guys wait outside the club for closing time. That makes you look like a serial killer.
2. Pizza delivery guy: When people lie and say they ordered more than what I brought.
3. Hostess at chain restaurant: It really pisses me off when people walk in and sit at a table without being escorted. Usually people who haven’t worked in restaurants do this.
4. Twitter followers: I hate when someone posts a million posts in a row — all the time. There is no reason for you to tweet 300 times in one day.
5. Makeup artist: My pet peeve is when older women expect me to make them look 30 years younger. You can only do so much with makeup.
6. Bicycle mechanic: When people bring in a broken bike and ask for a tune-up, then when they come to pick it up complain about having to pay for the replaced parts.
7. Hairdresser at Great Clips: I hate when people think I’m a dummy because I cut hair at a chain store. Not everyone can afford the booth rentals at the smaller boutiques.
8. Hairdresser at a chic Broad Ripple salon: My biggest peeve is when friends of friends come in and expect a discount.
9. Barista at Starbucks on the Far Northside: My biggest complaint would be when people order a drink they have obviously never had before and complain about its taste and want something else and their money back.
10. Bartender in Broad Ripple: This has been true since I started serving 10 years ago: When someone asks to make their drink good or heavy on the booze, they almost never tip.
11. Your favorite DJ: When people ask to “hear something they can dance to.” Or when drunken people ask for a request and come back every two minutes until I play it.
12. Your favorite local band (on their audience): When people talk or text on their cell phones during the entire set.
13. Your favorite local band (on other bands): When they break their gear down very slowly or dismantle the whole f***ing drum set on the stage. So annoying.
14. Car mechanic: When people are in shock at the price of their bill. Like everything should cost under a hundred dollars.
15. Boutique salesperson: Probably would have to be shoplifters. It happens more often than you would think.
16. Owner of a custom embroidery shop: When people have like $50 and want 20 shirts made in a day. Never going to happen.
17. Bartender at craft beer restaurant in Broad Ripple: I really hate it when people expect us to carry domestic commercial beer. Most people leave when they realize they can’t get the same thing they drink every day.
18. Worker at a busy Indianapolis hospital: My biggest irritation with patients would be when they ask how long until the doctor will see them.
19. Cook at a SoBro restaurant: When people order a pizza and say to the server, “Just make sure there’s no fish on it.” Why would I surprise someone with the least-liked topping in the world?
20. Public utility worker: People think we should work around the clock. If you don’t pay your bill and your service gets shut off, we are not going to come out and hook you back up in the middle of the night because you have the money.